Sunday, June 29, 2014

2014: Week 24: Jersey Boys

Jersey Boys

Genre: Drama, Musical, Biography

Main Players: Vincent Piazza, John Lloyd Young, Michael Lomenda, Erich Bergen

General Gist: The story of the 4 young men who formed the 1960's group The Four Seasons

Deb's Take: 
I was fortunate to see this show as a stage play last year.  I am a lover of musicals, drama, and biographies, so this was a no brainer.  I think the downfall was that I DID see the stage performance so I found myself comparing the two frequently.

First off, the story of The Four Seasons is intriguing.  I have always been fascinated with how people become stars.  I am even more fascinated when they become stars through their own work and sweat.  The movie did a wonderful job of expressing the relationships between the characters and leaving a feeling like you really knew what each character was about.  I liked the heart and soul of the movie, the drama and the story.

Secondly, I did feel like the actors did an amazing job.  Not one actor seemed out of place or misrepresenting.  I was impressed with the singing, (although not as impressed as I was with the stage performance).  I loved the music, a good movie must have good music...period.

Lastly, I felt like the movie was simply me watching four friends' lives unfold and play out.  I was lost in the movie, which is always a plus for me.  Definitely a movie worth seeing.

Deb's Rate:  Friday Night

Tiff's Take:
It's not a big secret that I'm not a huge fan of musicals or a movie that is heavy with music.  It's a little odd to say that because it's not like I don't like music in my life.  I do.  A lot.  But the acting/music combo is just a little boring to me.

This wasn't a musical so much as music in a movie.  So I didn't mind it.  It also helped that I really like music from the 60's.  The story itself was pretty fascinating too.  Although when I watch movies that have any sort of mob connection it always makes me nervous.  Does it for you?  Am I just weird that way?  I always worry someone is going to make the wrong move and get themselves killed.  

So the actors were good and talented and all that but honestly none of them really stood out to me.  And even though the story was fascinating, the movie was a bit too long.  I felt like it dragged out a little too much.  In the end, I would say I liked the movie but didn't love it.

Tiff's Rate: Matinee

Preview:  Kids movie coming up.  How to Train Your Dragon 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment