Tuesday, September 4, 2012

2012: Week 35: Pitch Perfect

Pitch Perfect


Genre: Comedy, Music

Main Players: Anna Kendrick, Brittany Snow, Rebel Wilson, Anna Camp, Elizabeth Banks, Skylar Astin

General Gist: A self made DJ/Mixer (??) decides to join an all girls a cappella group, "The Bellas", her freshman year at college to appease her dad.  They try to make it to nationals to beat the favorites, the school's male group.

Tiff's Take:
Last year was the year of Natalie Portman.  This year I'm officially calling it the year of music.  Much to my dismay.  I'll admit that some of them we've seen this year haven't been too bad.  Surprisingly this one has probably been one of my favorite music/musical type movies so far.  I'm actually shocked to say that out loud.

The female actors in this movie are the main reason for liking it so well.  I know I've said it before but I'll say it again.  I really like Anna Kendrick.  It seems like she should be pigeon holed into certain type of roles but she isn't.  Not in my opinion anyway.  I just really like her and her sense of humor, and who knew she could sing?!  (But then again, can't they all?) 

Rebel Wilson.  What can I say?  She is hilarious.  And even though Elizabeth Banks had only a minor role she was equally as funny.  Another one of my favorites. 

On top of the acting, the music was fun and a little more "hip" then the music in some of the other ones we've seen this year.  That always makes things more enjoyable.  Definitely an entertaining movie that keeps you laughing as well. 

Tiff's Rate: Friday Night 

Deb's Take:
As Tiff mentioned, we have hit the year of musicals...or movies with music...I had only seen one preview for this movie, and didn't really know what to expect.  Well, I got more then my expectations.  Unlike Tiff, I am a movie music lover.  Music makes the whole experience better!  I agree, some of them have been..... not so better. I liked this one for a few reasons.

1.)  Anna Kendrick is becoming more and more likable to me with each show she does.  I was rather amazed that she could sing.  I like her easy nature and sort of real personality she brings to the table in her movies.  She seems to find the personality of each of her characters and makes it so her own.  She never seems to be the "same" character but in different movies.  That is impressive to me.  There is a scene in the movie, when she is trying out for "The Bellas"  LOVE IT!!

2.) Rebel Wilson!  She is stinkin hilarious...she makes me laugh out loud.  I love her! ( I think her accent helps)  She really makes the comedy of this movie what it is.

3.) There was some romance, although it was choppy and not really what the movie was about.  But I like romance.

4.) AWESOMENESS in the singing department.  Wow, I do like what music is becoming..the music battles, the overlaying of songs, a cappella singing.  All very cool

Deb's Rate: Friday Night...only because the romance was a little weak.
Preview:   Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment