Tuesday, May 29, 2012

2012: Week 21: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel


Genre: Drama, Comedy

Main Players: Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Maggie Smith, Tom Wilkinson, Penelope Wilton, Celia Imrie, Ronald Pickup, Dev Patel

General Gist:  7 British retirees travel to India to retire in an advertised newly remodeled hotel.  The story follows their lives in this new environment.

Deb's Take: 
There is something to be said for seasoned actors.  I know Hollywood is all about youth, adventure, and all that jazz. I think they have it wrong, it should be about acting, and experience and talent.  This movie had just that, experienced acting, talent, beauty in age and the genuine art of life.  As much as I love romance, star crossed lovers, and that whole hub-bub, I have to say, I have come to realize my true passion in movies is a good lesson.  I like the lessons, I want to learn from others' lives.  This all probably evolved from my work, I am around "seasoned" people all day long, I see where we all are headed, and I am determined to learn from my elders.

This movie had such a wonderful group of actors.  Although I didn't like Penelope Wilton's character (who really could..she didn't even like herself) I loved all of the roles and they were played brilliantly.  Each actor seemed so comfortable and did an amazing job.  I believed they actually "were" their characters.  The story wasn't anything tremendously out of control, but rather just a chronicle of life and changes that can happen at a certain age.  Changes that so many people overlook and take for granted, but the real lesson to me....Life doesn't ever end until it really ends.  (so chew on that one for a while.)

I told my mom she should get all my aunts together and go see this movie.  I don't know how much a "younger" crowd would appreciate the message, but I guess I am not so young anymore, so I did love it.  I also want to give kudos to Dev Patel and his role.  He did a great job as well, he was right up there with all those more experienced actors. 

Deb's Rate:  Opening Night

Tiff's Take:
I love it when a movie like this comes along.  One with not a lot of hype but ends up knocking your socks off.  Such an unexpected treat!  It reminds me of last year's The Way.  I remember seeing the preview for this a while ago but then forgot about it since it didn't really hit the mainstream movie world.  My in-laws actually went and saw it before I did and thought it was great.  So I had to go to see what it was all about.  I will say that this ended up being one of the best movies we've seen so far this year. 

The story was really interesting because this group of retirees goes on this adventure that you would never think people that age would do.  They throw themselves in this foreign world at a vulnerable time in their lives and for the most part thrive.  It's an inspiration really.  What an amazing thing to go out of your comfort zone so completely.  And the actors of course were phenomenal.  You really can't go wrong with a cast like this.  Also, I really enjoyed seeing Dev Patel in a less serious role then his role in Slumdog Millionaire.  (Which I loved by the way.)

Although I think this movie is more relatable to people over the age of 50, it was still enjoyable for this 30 something year old. 

Tiff's Rate: Opening Night definitely.

Preview: Looks like from some of the previews we may have some good ones coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment