Monday, March 19, 2012

2012: Week 11: Gone

Genre: Thriller, Drama

Main Players: Amanda Seyfried, Daniel Sanjuta, Jennifer Carpenter

General Gist: A girl who reports she was kidnapped and escaped, claims her sister is now kidnapped and sets out on a quest to find and save her sister.

Deb's Take:
I am always a little hesitant to go to movies that I think may be "scary". I have always been a wimp, and I can't sleep at night or I have nightmares. I take that as a compliment to my imagination. The upside to this movie, there were no ghosts. Ghosts are the things that freak me out the most. I figured since there weren't ghosts I could handle it.

This movie was sort of odd. The premise was great! The storyline followed a typical "who done it/criminal minds" sort of theme. I spent the whole movie thinking the good guy may be the bad guy. I was waiting for the ultimate high of the movie, the intense "fight scene" and the major twist at the end. Well, I was disappointed... it didn't happen. The twists were more like straight aways and the intense climax was more like a little speed bump. The movie had so much potential, and it didn't reach it's mark in my opinion. I do think there was enough suspense to enjoy it at home as a rental, and I think Amanda Seyfried was good. I guess if I was going to dedicate myself to a "thriller" I wanted to be on the verge of not sleeping. Needless to say, I slept fine.

Deb's Rate: Rent it (leaning towards a matinee)

Tiff's Take:
The previews for this movie made it seem like a definite thriller.  The kind that would keep you on the edge of your seat.  Well, it did a little but not a lot.  I totally agree with Deb that this movie was just plain odd.  I felt like the movie jumped right in to the action without a lot of setting up of who was who.  That wouldn't necessarily have been a bad thing but the "action" wasn't really there.  It was like the whole time you were waiting for it to really get going.  And then when it finally reached a peak it just sort of ended.  Very anticlimactic for sure.  And there were a lot of random characters that you thought would be important but then weren't.  Or could have been eliminated from the movie altogether and wouldn't have made an ounce of difference.   

The acting was okay and Amanda Seyfried was decent but overall this movie just lacked that extra umph.        

Tiff's Rate: Rent it

Preview: The winner of our Giveaway will be announced tonight.  Hurry if you act fast you can still enter.  Next reveiw...The Hunger Games!!! YEAH!  Who's going to see it this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment