Friday, February 24, 2012

2012: Week 7: The Vow

The Vow

Genre: Romance, Drama

Main Players: Rachel McAdams, Channing Tatum

General Gist: A woman is injured in a car accident and has a traumatic brain injury that leaves her without a memory of her last 5 years of life. She doesn't remember her husband, or their marriage. He works to rekindle their love.

Deb's Take:
I was really thinking that this movie was going to capture my heart and put me into my romance oblivion that my favorite romance movies and books often do. I was sort-of disappointed. I have to say that the acting was actually pretty good, I like Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum a lot. I feel like they had good chemistry, but I was looking for "The Notebook" or "Titanic" kind of romance. The drama, the conflict and the eventual coming back around to the ultimate love, and I never really felt that. I wanted intense, but it fell a little short of that. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, I just didn't find myself longing for more. All in all, you will get the romance, but don't expect the heartfelt story of some previous movies.

Tiff's Take:
Again, I totally agree with Deb.  Two weeks in a row!  We're starting to get back on the same wavelength.

I really wanted to just LOVE this movie.  I love Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum so no issues there.  They do have great chemistry so they were a good match.  Another plus.  And the story line seemed like it would make a wonderfully, heartbreaking, want to die in your seat kind of movie.  But the truth is, it only sort of did.  For the most part I ended up feeling really bad for Tatum's character the whole time without truly getting great closure in the end.  I just wanted more.  Although, I will say I've thought a lot about the movie since I've seen it.  Usually that's a good sign for me. But that might also have something to do with the fact that I let my imagination run wild about the "what ifs" in life. 

So I'd say it was a decent movie and if you're thinking about going to it you would probably like it but don't count on loving it.  As Deb said, it's no Titanic. 

Preview: Something a little different than our normal: "Chronicle"

2 comments:

  1. Sooo, I love your blog by the way! You guys are seeing all the movies I want to see and are totally help me decide what to see. :) well, you girls are like the second or third time I've heard that this movie isn't all it was cracked up to be. I don't know if I want to see it or not. Lol! Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy our blog and thanks for reading! If your on the fence about this one I would say do a matinee. Might not be worth a Friday night. :)

    ReplyDelete