Monday, January 2, 2012

Week 53: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Ahh, the elusive week 53.  Yes, it does exist in our minds here on Two Sisters.  Read my week 52 review if you're interested in my long, drawn out explanation of why there is a week 53 in 2011.  Or don't that's fine too. 

For our last week of movies this year we went to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  In my opinion it was a great movie to end the year.  I thought I would like it but I'm actually surprised by how much I liked it.  I can't stop thinking about it if that tells you anything.

So, of course this was a book made into a movie.  I just finished the book a week or so ago so I was super excited to see this one.  And I might add that it's a remake of a movie released in Denmark in 2009.  I was hoping to see the original version before I saw this one but I didn't get around to it.  If you can believe it it's a lot harder for me to watch a rental then to go to a movie. 

As I'm sure you know by now, I love seeing a book come to life.  I might be going on a limb here by saying that this was probably one of the best ones I've seen.  Meaning that the movie followed the book so well.  Of course there were slight differences but overall it did an excellent job of capturing the essence of the book.  Excellent. 

I might be slightly bias with the characters because I saw who was playing the characters before I actually started the book.  So I had those people in mind while I was reading.  But let me tell you they were perfect.  I'll start out with saying I love Daniel Craig.  When I saw him in the his first James Bond I was sold.  He's perfect in my mind.  (Did I say that out loud?  Sorry)  Since he's not American he was able to pull of a European character very nicely.  Very nicely.  And don't get me started with Rooney Mara.  She couldn't have been better at playing Lisbeth Salander, the girl with the dragon tattoo.  I really can't imagine a better Lisbeth. 

Since I read the book I was prepared for the more disturbing and sexual scenes.  But if you haven't read the book you might want to keep in mind that this is definitely not a feel good movie.  Also, take note of who you are going to the movie with.  This probably isn't one you want to go with your grandma.  It would be a good one to go with the man in your life.  It's a very male movie.  Lots of action, suspense and sex. 

I'm so happy this was the last movie of 2011.  I thought for a while there that 2011 would fizzle out in the end.  But it didn't.  And I'm glad. 

To Sum it up:  Wonderful casting, lots of crazy, sexual suspense all with European flare.

Stay tuned for our Top 5 favorite movies in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment