Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2012: Week 1: Joyful Noise

We decided to try formatting our reviews a little differently this year. It seemed like we were writing a lot of the same things as far as actors, plot, etc. So we're trying out only one post per movie. Let us know what you think!

Joyful Noise

Genre: Musical, Comedy

Main Players: Queen Latifah, Dolly Parton, Keke Palmer, Jeremy Jordan

General Gist: A church choir's road to a national competition with love, drama and music along the way.


Tiff's Take:
Our first movie of the year and it was a freebie. Gotta love that. I'll be honest. If it wasn't a freebie I may not have chosen this one. It looked okay but just not my cup of tea. Musicals are generally not my thing. (Except Chicago. Love it!) But I actually didn't realize this was going to be so much of a musical. You know, with multiple, full length songs. I thought it would just have a little music here and there inbetween the story. I was wrong. Long songs, more than one and in the gospel variety. Unfortunately a recipe for boredom for this sister. Don't get me wrong, it had a good message but it was just a little too much for me. The relationships didn't seem real thought out either. Or maybe just a little shallow and thrown together. The acting was okay and the singing was definitely good but it was a snorefest for me. You win some you lose some.

Deb's Take:
Yep, gotta love that we started with the Freebie. Also, we were happy to have two friends, Chris and Troy, join us for this one. Thanks for coming! You should do it more often!! Well, I LOVE musicals. Although, technically I don't know if this could be considered a true musical. The songs were part of the movie, but never used as people "talking" or singing to eachother, rather just performances that fit into the story line. While I did enjoy the singing quite a bit, I have to agree with Tiff that the relationships were weak. I also felt the movie kind of kept hitting the same points over and over again. Nothing like beating a dead horse. I was not bored, but have to say that the singing is actually what made the movie tolerable for me as the rest was a little slow. I think maybe I spent more time analyzing where Dolly Parton's plastic surgery took a turn for the worse than how the movie was going to end. If you like to hear singing, go and have fun, if gospel isn't your thing you may want to reconsider.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the invite, glad we could join you and look forward to more in 2012!! I'd have to agree on the "too much singing" theme going along. But it had a few good one liners to make you laugh along the way. Not sure it would be one of my favorites. Suprisingly, Troy liked it! Go figure! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyful noise could have been a great movie, but it chose to go down the path of mediocrity. It seems to have been a vehicle to poke fun at Christianity or at least suggest that all Christians use profanity and commit adultery. Yes, the singing was great, but the movie surrounding the story suffers- alot. There are funny moments, but many of those were tied to foul language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree that I don't think the profanity in the movie was necessary. I wasn't aware at the time when I went that the movie was actually so religious in nature. I knew it was about a choir, but never realized it was the center of the storyline. I feel often times movie makers feel the need to put in foul language in movies to reach an audience that they feel they won't reach without it, which is unfortunate. Luckily, I didn't feel the same way that the movie was poking fun at Christianity, however, I do see how you may have felt that way.

      In a little different take, my 14 year old daughter came home from seeing it and said "See! Our music can be filled with Christian words and have a good message!" she of course was referring to the last songs that were altered to be more geared towards a "Godly" message. I think the movie didn't need the sex and language, it would have been fine without it, and yes, it is sad that movie makers think it needs to be in there!

      Thanks for your comments and a different view point! Stop by again, love to hear what others think.

      Delete