Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Week 39: Moneyball

We went and saw Moneyball this past weekend.  Even though it was only a day before it came out it was still a pre screening.  Interesting process.  We couldn't take our phones in with us and we had to be wanded and everything.  But it was free.  And we got to see a never before seen preview of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Looks pretty good.  I'll have to get on that book.

I'll start by pointing out that although I really enjoy sports related movies I'm not really a big sports person per say.  Meaning if it's not high school (people I know) or college sports I don't really invest a lot of time into a game.  I enjoy the occasional pro sporting event but for the most part it's just to people watch.  (Except for tennis and hockey.  Weird I know.)  So with that being said, I thought this was a really good sports movie.  However, I didn't know what they were talking about most of the time.   

There was a lot of talk about the strategy of baseball and how this guy, Billy Beane, changed the way people thought about said strategy.  Really fascinating.  Again no real idea what they were talking about but fascinating.  It was a cryin' shame that Russ didn't get to go.  He would have been so much more into it and known what they were talking about.  I tried to go into a little detail about some players in the movie.  Russ was embarrassed for me during the conversation. 

This was a little different from some sports movies because it was less about specific games and more about this whole process.  Brad Pitt really played the role of Billy Beane well.  There's just something about his confidence that draws you in.  It's Brad Pitt after all.  And Jonah Hill as the stats genius was great.  They had good chemistry together in a platonic way of course.

If you're a sports fanatic, definitely see this movie.  If you're not, it's still worth seeing but be prepared to be a little clueless.

To Sum it up: Motivating and fascinating with just a tad of humor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment