Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Week 33: The Help

This week we saw The Help.  Yay!  A movie I was really looking forward to.  I love movies that I'm looking forward especially on opening weekend.  It doesn't get any better than that.

This movie was filled with a great cast.  Emma Stone played Skeeter.  At first I wasn't sure how much I would like her in this role.  Honestly, I hadn't seen any of her movies until I saw Crazy, Stupid Love a few weeks ago.  She was great in that and she was great in this too.  I guess my completely uneducated opinion about her has now changed.  I'm a fan.

Some of the other actors were Viola Davis (Abileen), Octavia Spencer (Minny), Bryce Dallas Howard (Hilly), Jessica Chastain (Celia) and smaller roles by Allison Janney (Charlotte) and Sissy Spacek (Missus Walters).  This movie was chalked full of wonderful actresses.  And let me tell ya, they all were so good in their roles.  I would say Minny really stole the show followed by the few scenes with Sissy Spacek. 

If you haven't read this book, you should.  It is so good.  Of course the book is almost always better than the movie but this movie really did it justice.  When I saw the previews I thought it was going to be too light-hearted compared to the book.  And it was in parts.  There were some really good funny parts but it also had it's serious moments.  A really good mix. 

To Sum it up:  Funny, heart-breaking and packed with a bunch of strong women.

No comments:

Post a Comment