Monday, March 14, 2011

Week 11: Beastly

This week we saw the movie Beastly.  I had no idea going into this movie that it was basically a modern day version of Beauty and the Beast.  I didn't realize it until Deb said something about it after the movie.  I really need to become more observant. 

To start out with this movie had Alex Pettyfer.  He was the hot teen alien in last week's movie, I Am Number Four.  Strange since I had never heard of him before and now I'm seeing movies back to back with him in it.  I guess that's what happens when you go to movies every week.  He was okay in this movie.  Maybe a little awkward.  I definitely liked him better last week.  But in his defense I liked last week's movie better anyway.

As I said, this was a modern day twist to the old Beauty and the Beast story.  Since I didn't realize that until the end it made the movie seem random, with way to many holes in the story.  Kyle, played by Alex Pettyfer, is this rich, good looking kid who believes only the outside makes someone beautiful.  This crazy witch-like girl played by Mary-Kate Olsen makes him ugly and says he has to find true love within a year or he'll stay that way.  Vanessa Hudgens plays the girl he falls in love with...yadda yadda.  You know the rest of the story. (Honestly, how didn't I know this was Beauty and the Beast?)  This movie played like a book remake in the sense that you felt like you were missing pieces of the story.  And if you didn't know it was a Disney remake you probably were.

I really like good edgy remakes of old classics.  Like Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.  One of my favorites.  But this one fell way short for me.  There wasn't much of it that worked.

To Sum it up: Weird, disjointed and just not there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment